You know when you’re feeling a bit rubbish and you’re not sure why? Well, I love cooking something that’s comforting and, for me, nothing says comforting like a nice big plate of curry and rice!!
I find that some curries can be quite rich though, so while I was looking for healthy recipes, I stumbled across this one from Asda and it’s become a firm favourite in our house!! For the nutritional information, check out the link!
The recipe feeds four so I just halve the ingredients for me and J (or make a big 4 serving batch and have leftovers for lunch the next day!!) As usual, anything in italics below are my own thoughts/ways of cooking the meal!
- 4 Asda chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 level tbsp Asda tandoori spice blend (I ran out of this and Asda didn’t have any in stock, so I bought a bag of their tandoori masala blend instead and it works just as well, although it does make the dish look purple for a while 😂😂)
- 4 tbsp Asda natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice (I use lime juice from a bottle #rebel)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cinnamon stick (I use a little ground cinnamon instead!)
- 6 cardamom pods (Too much effort for me, I just leave these out)
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger (I use a little ground ginger instead!)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (I use frozen garlic and just add half a block)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 4 tomatoes (we’re not really a massive fan of these in the dish so we tend to leave them out)
- 2 level tsp garam masala
- Fresh coriander and basmati rice, to serve (I just use normal white rice, it’s just as delicious)
- 4 Asda Chosen by you poppadoms (optional), to serve (we swap between poppadoms and naan bread, depending on what we feel like that evening!)
- The night before/3 hours before: Mix the chicken with your Tandoori spice blend, yoghurt and lime juice in a bowl. Cover it and leave to marinate in the fridge, stirring occasionally. I don’t tend to stir it until I take it out to cook it, oops!
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment and put the chicken on it, wipe off any excess marinade with a brush/spoon and save it with the rest of the marinade left in the bowl. Bake the chicken pieces for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan, add the cinnamon and cardamom, and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic, ginger and onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring. Because I don’t use cardamom in my recipe, I skip to the next step and add the ground cinnamon to the onions.
- Stir in the marinade that you saved, the tomato paste, coconut milk and 100 ml water. Halve the tomatoes, and scoop out and discard the seeds, chop them and add to the pan. Bring the pan to the boil and stir in the garam masala and the chicken. Once boiling, turn the heat right down, cover the pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Once it’s gently simmering, I use the time to get the rice on (70 g per person) and cook for about 13 minutes.
- Serve up with poppadoms or naan bread and enjoy!!
- Time: 30 mins (plus about 5 mins prep the night before)
- Difficulty rating: This dish is really easy to make and the recipe is super easy to follow. Plus it’s one of those things you can leave to simmer and do something else in the kitchen, like cleaning or prepping breakfast 🙂
- Taste: The coconut milk makes it taste incredibly rich and the mix of spices are perfect! It’s not too spicy, but you could always add more garam masala to give the dish more of a kick!!
- Would I make it again?: I make this all the time and absolutely love it 🙂
- Verdict: 5/5.
Are you a fan of tikka masala? Do you prefer poppadoms or naan bread? Let me know in the comments below 🙂 x
I love chicken tikka masala but I haven’t had it literally in years because I unfortunately had a dodgy one at a restaurant once and that kind of turned me off, but this looks so good! I agree, when I’m feeling like crap I love nothing more than making something like this as well.
Julia // The Sunday Mode
Oh no, I hate it when one bad experience ruins everything!! I hope one day you can eat it again xx
Holly this looks so good. Omg what are you doing to this pregnant lady I need this right now LOL. Will have to make this soon xxx
Ahaha I’m sorry! You’ll have to tag me on insta if you make it xxx