Following on from my last post about being an adult, here are some more sinking realisations that you’ve definitely, definitely become a full-blown adult! Some of these are my own thoughts and some are from Twitter as I asked people what makes them feel like they’ve definitely become adults!
1. Asking for sensible Christmas/birthday presents – Gone are the days when you asked for a Malibu Barbie, a Furby or that hideous pink sequined crop top you think you’ll look the tits in!! It’s now all about a new salt mill and pepper grinder, a lovely new pair of slippers or a Waterstone’s voucher!
2. Putting the bins out – Not only do the bins go out every week, but the recycling gets picked up every two weeks and Cat says being an adult is all about remembering to put them out on the right day!! For me, the task of rinsing out all the tins and bottles to put in the recycling bin also screams adulthood!
3. Tutting at girls who are wearing next to nothing – Even though you used to do the same at their age, it just looks so wrong now. Their skirts are barely covering their bums and they’re not even wearing a coat. Don’t they know that it’s cold outside??
4. When someone knocks at your door and doesn’t ask for your parents – I loved this tweet from Debra, it’s just so true!! Because I look ridiculously young, I’m sure people see me answering the door and want to ask if my parents are in. Luckily it’s not happened, yet!!
5. Letting go of old friendships – This one is a really hard one, but you know what, it’s okay to let go of toxic friendships or ones where neither of you really benefit from staying friends anymore. Although I’ve found it’s become easier the older I get, with social media the way it is, it’s still pretty hard to cut ties with people.
6. Paying into a pension scheme – Amy has this one bang on!! Although it’s super scary, putting away money now for your twilight years is definitely important … and super adulty!!
7. Gardening – Because, as it turns out, those weeds won’t dig themselves out, the plants won’t sow themselves and most disappointingly, the lawn definitely won’t mow itself!!
8. Renewing your insurance – Maggie says that negotiating a price with her insurers makes her feel like an adult. I’d definitely agree with this. I also find I can now spend a good couple of weeks looking to get the best prices possible, rather than just renewing with the same company because I’m too lazy to look lol
9. Having set days for changing the duvet/pyjamas – Instead of changing them randomly when I remember, or having my mum remind me they need to go in the wash, Saturday is always new pyjama day in our house. It’s also new duvet day because there’s nothing nicer after having a shower than getting into fresh clean pjs and a lovely clean bed!
10. Buying new homeware – If you follow me on social media, you’ll know J and I recently took a couple of trips to IKEA. Not only did we buy some new furniture, hello bookcases and chests of drawers, we also bought a new set of crockery as our old set had seen better days! (Aisling agreed with me on this!)
What sort of things do you do that make you feel like an adult? Let me know in the comments below 🙂 x