I know I’m a couple of weeks late, but did you know that 13th August was left-hander’s day? This the day when people like me can celebrate their left-handedness, the daily struggles we face and empathise with other left-handed folk about how shit it can be 😂😂😂😂
I posted this tweet last year and it got loads of likes and retweets (in fact it’s probably my most liked tweet ever!!) It also shared on Twitter moments and I was even featured on a local radio show where I talked about what it’s like to be left-handed!!
Only 10% of the population are left-handed, so here’s what it’s like to be left-handed in a right-hand dominant world:
- When people find out you’re left-handed, they’ll always tell you they know someone is left-handed. What a fascinating fact, please tell me again!
- Cutting paper/fabric with right-handed scissors is really fucking hard because the top blade is the wrong way wrong and it’s hard to see the cutting line!
- Whenever I go to tear off Sellotape/cling film/tin foil, the serrated edges go the other way and I ruin what I’m trying to tear off
- Whenever I wrote essays and stories at school so I was always one of the messiest writers and, if I was writing on plain paper, my writing would always veer upwards because I couldn’t see where I’d written before.
- Any time I write with a pen, I always get ink marks on the side of my hand!
- Most measuring cups only have the quantities written on one side so you can only see them if you’re holding the cup in your right hand!
- Left-handed products like pens, scissors, knives etc are always more expensive 🙁
- If I need to have blood tests or injections, the doctor or nurse will always assume I’m right-handed and I have to correct them!
- I’ve told many sports instructors that I’m left-handed but a lot of the time (unless it’s a racket sport) I’ll play right-handed. I apparently play golf right-handed!!
- People make stupid shit like left-handed clocks where the numbers go anti-clockwise round the face, and think they’re helping us!
- My boyfriend always forgets I’m left-handed and asks why I’m holding things wrong!
- When I hold products in my left hand like mascaras, lipsticks or skincare products, 9 times out of 10, the writing is either upside down or I’m looking at the back of the product!! This goes for food packets like Tic Tacs too!
On the plus side:
- The biggest positive is that I always know my left from my right. I’ve never ever struggled with this 😀
- When playing sports, people don’t expect you to be left-handed and it can often be an advantage (like when I used to play netball in middle school and everyone crowded round my right side to stop me throwing and I could just throw the ball with my left hand lol)
- Driving a car is super easy for me because my dominant hand is the one controlling the gearstick (we have a right-hand drive car because we live in the UK)
- If I’m at the computer at work and I have to take a phone call, I can write things down AND still use my mouse to use the computer at the same time 😀
Are you left-handed? Do you know anyone who’s left-handed? Let me know in the comments below 🙂 x