One of my 2018 highlights was being contacted by Dermalogica to work as one of their skinfluencers; which means I get to try out some of their products and tell you guys what I think about them!
I’ve tested out all the products over the last few months, so here are my thoughts on the 5 products I was very kindly sent:
Precleanse: This product is designed to be used in conjunction with their cleansers for a thorough “double cleanse”, although you use this product first, hence the name “pre“cleanse. Rubbing the oil on to your face (whilst dry) it easily melts away waterproof makeup, pollutants and your own excess oils. You then wet the product to create a milky emulsion that helps to rinse all the debris away from your skin 🙂
- The good points: I really love the smell of this product (it reminds me of essential oils in a spa, although I think it could be the apricot oil I can smell) and it honestly feels like you’re getting a really good pre-cleanse. I thought an oil would be really hard to clean off my face with just water, but because it turns into an emulsion, it’s a lot easier to wash off than I expected. I also love the pump nozzle because it’s easier to control the amount of product you use.
- The bad points: The only downside I’ve found to this product is my own laziness – I’m always tempted to skip steps to make my routine quicker so I have to be stricter on myself and make sure I use this.
- The conclusion: I definitely want to continue using this product once this bottle is empty. My pores are definitely a lot cleaner now 🙂
Special Cleansing Gel: Designed to be used after the precleanse, this foaming cleansing gel is very gentle on the skin and feels incredibly lightweight. You use it on wet skin to help remove impurities and toxins. It contains Balm Mint and Lavender extracts to soothe skin 🙂
- The good points: It’s a really subtle scent and doesn’t leave my skin feeling dry or tight after I use it. You can also use it with a sonic cleanser which I’ve been doing. (I use the Kathleen facial cleanser)
- The bad points: The only bad thing I can say about this is that some of the letters rubbed off my bottle so I had to do a photoshop jobby on the wording so it didn’t say “secial cleansig gel” 😂😂😂
- The conclusion: I absolutely love this cleanser although I’m really tempted to try the UltraCalming cleanser next to see if it helps with my rosacea.
Daily microfoliant – This little gem is designed to gently exfoliate skin leaving it looking smoother and brighter. I was expecting a gel or a scrub, but it’s actually a rice-based powder! To use, you pour a little into your hand, get it really wet (which releases the Papain, Salicylic Acid and Rice Enzymes) and apply it in circular motions to your face. Once you’ve massaged it in, rinse thoroughly!
- The good points: It’s made my face feel incredibly soft and fresh without making my face look blotchy and like it’s been scrubbed to death! It’s so gentle I’ve been using it everyday 🙂
- The bad points: I really, really don’t like the smell, to me it almost smells like gone off baby milk or baby milk powder 🙁 it’s a little off-putting to be honest, especially when I’m using it on my face.
- The conclusion: While I love this product and it has made my face feel a lot smoother, I’m not sure I’d want to pay £49.50 for another bottle of it, unless they changed the scent of it!
Skin Smoothing Cream – I was really intrigued to try this product out as it not only offers 48 hours of hydration but it can also help protect the skin from environmental factors
- The good points: It was lovely and cooling on my skin and didn’t flare my rosacea up at all.
- The bad points: This is another product that I really didn’t like the smell of. It smells to me a bit like a pint of cider or beer that’s been left out in warm sunshine for hours 😬😬😬 I also personally didn’t find it that hydrating for my face.
- The conclusion: It’s a definitely no from me for this one, but Dermalogica have very kindly sent me the Intensive Moisture Balance to test out instead which is an anti-oxidant rich moisturiser specifically designed for dry skin so I’ll keep you updated!!
SkinPerfect Primer Spf30 – This primer is for smoothing fine lines, brightening skin and priming for make-up application. This primer really wasn’t what I was expecting. I thought it would be more of a clear gel but it was actually a light terracotta colour!!
- The good points: It’s a really velvety formula that rubs on to the skin really easily and blends effortlessly. It’s really lightweight and it’s so easy to forget you’re wearing anything 🙂
- The bad points: It’s quite easy to squirt too much product out and the first time I used it, I was really worried that I was going to end up with a delightful orange glow (which of course didn’t happen).
- The conclusion: I really like this primer and I tend to use it on its own without putting foundation over the top, although I do top up with a bit of concealer for any really red patches or angry spots.
My overall thoughts: I love the packaging, it’s simple, to the point and looks pretty androgynous in the bathroom. Dermalogica is a cruelty-free company and there are no artificial colours or fragrances, the products are mostly vegan and gluten-free and most of the products are also paraben-free.
I loved the majority of the products I was sent to try out with a couple of exceptions, which were the microfoliant (purely for the smell) and the moisturiser (for the smell and the lack of hydration for my skin). The products did make my face break out to start with but that seems to have settled now, although because I’m using all the products at the same time, I’m not sure which product/s did it!
The prices are higher than most of the products I’d generally tend to buy, but the results do speak for themselves; plus they do have travel-sized products too at much more purse-friendly prices! I really want to try the Stress Positive Eye Lift and the Overnight Repair Serum because they sound fab ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Have you tried any Dermalogica products? What did you love or hate? Let me know in the comments below 🙂 x
*These products were kindly sent to me for review but views and face are my own.
Great review, thank you. Am totally thrilled with the brand. Already have some products at home and find my skin is absolutely in top shape 🙂
I’m glad you liked the review 🙂
I honestly don’t even notice the smell of the microfoliant, I’ve used it for years and it’s helped my skin so much! I love the rest too but I am yet to try the primer oops, I’ll get round to it soon! X
Lol, go take a big sniff (after you’ve added the water!) Oooh try the primer and let me know what you think xx
I haven’t tried any of their products yet but their Special Cleansing Gel sounds great! xo
It really is 😊😊 xx
I’ve used quite a few Dermalogica products (although not the ones shown here). I think it’s a great brand. Little bit pricey but generally worth it. If you didn’t get on with the microfoliant then you might want to try out their Superfoliant which is a lovely mild exfoliating product. Also the precleanse balm is a lovely product – it’s basically a solid version of the precleanse oil. Looking forward to reading more skincare reviews from you!
Oh, which ones have you used? Definitely pricey but I think if they work, it’s worth forking out a bit more! I’m not sure how I feel about a solid balm lol, I really like the oil 🙂 x